Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Playing with Photoshop.

I participated in a group recently over at DPChallenge, headed by a clever person who came up with some new photo-editing steps and shared it with us all. Coined "flip-and-blend" it involves taking an image and executing 3 flips, then doing whatever other adjustments to tone, hue, etc. you might be inclined to do. Often, it looks fantastic after only the flips and you might not want to do anything else to it. For those inclined to try it, I'll note the steps at the end of this post.

But using this technique, this is how an ordinary shot of Bonaparte gulls flying around off the coast of Maine



became this:



Steps:

Open any image in Photoshop
Copy layer and flip horizontally, put in "Difference" blend mode; flatten
Copy layer and flip vertically, put in "Difference" blend mode; flatten
Copy layer and flip 90 degrees, put in "Difference" blend mode; flatten

You can continue to make other image adjustments after this, but you can also play with more flips, different blend modes, just about anything you can think of.

There are many more great ideas about variations to this technique that can be found here, where our group had fun last month.

Now, go play!

4 comments:

  1. Cool, I will try that out. Might become handy for certain types of jobs. Thanks!

    Good to see you're online, again! I would wait in the spring and dust those nearly ready blog posts with quite spring-looking images. It's quite sleepy out here on the Internet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see what you come up with, Ove. The results can be surprising, you can use basically any image, even "junk", and get some wonderful patterns and outrageous colors. I find I like the simpler images best, but it's a matter of preference - a busier image will generate a pattern that's so insanely complicated and busy in its own right. I'll see if I can post some more of my favorites later on, but you can also check them out in my portfolio if you follow the DPC portfolio link in the sidebar.

    I need to get some Spring-like images posted if only to remind myself that Spring will come someday. It's been a crazy winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked in your DPC portfolio, and it struck me, this is exactly what a kaleidoscope do. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is one of the niftier images i've seen made with that technique. fwiw, difference and exclusion are my favorite blendings.

    ReplyDelete