Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Choices.



I was reading Rachel’s excellent post from several days back, and it provoked many thoughts, so I decided to make a post of my own about it. I won’t exhaustively summarize the whole post here, but I encourage you to follow the link and read it for yourselves. Briefly, her post was mainly about the “rules” of photography and how strict adherence to them can stifle creativity. I’d like to take that a step further and suggest it might also stifle critique.

There’s a difference, I think, between “rules” and technique – technique, as Rachel noted, is comprised of knowledge about exposure times, aperture, depth of field, etc. - the basic operations of a camera and, by extension, the production of an image. Rules, however, seem to be more concerned with judgments of good or bad – “good” exposure, the “right” depth of field, the “best” composition, and are more subjective.

It seems obvious how rules can stifle creativity – you don’t dare color outside the lines when overly concerned with The Rules. But that doesn’t worry me so much – my creativity is mine to whatever degree I possess it (and of course it ebbs and flows, and heck, disappears entirely at times). I don’t think I bother so much about rules that they seriously get in my way. But what personally freaks me out is what it seems to do for the viewers of any image.

The way I see it, producing an image and subsequently displaying it for others is at its core a simple offering: Here, look at this, look at what I have to show you. The ideal viewer is receptive – she is willing to contemplate and question what she sees before her. She is also one who takes the image at face value and makes any judgment, if there is judgment, within the bounds of what has been offered. This isn’t to say that the ideal viewer has to like the image, not at all, but she should have a response to it that meets the image on its own terms.

Ok, what do I mean by that? Take the zoneplate image I selected to accompany this post: the cat is a very small portion of the image. An ideal critique would start with the assumption that, for instance, the proportioning of the image (in this case, the smallness of the cat relative to the entire composition) was deliberately chosen. A suggestion that the shot would be “better” if it featured the cat in a close-up, while the suggestion may be helpful so long as you are in the The Rules club, nevertheless does not come from a place that starts with the basic fact of photographer choice – it instead asks that the picture be something else entirely – to be, essentially, someone else’s choice. Ideally, a response that accounts for photographer choice would ask why that particular composition was chosen and not another, and go on from there.

(I won’t even get started on all the other rules this shot breaks – you can imagine the overall reception it received. Oddly, though, it does seem to follow the Rule of Thirds. Purely accidental, Officer, I swear.)

Over the few years I’ve received comments at a photography site I frequent, I’ve observed a depressing reliance on the part of the commenters on The Rules. Depressing, not because such comments tend in fact to be negative about my image, but in that it makes me wonder how a reliance on these contrivances might end up depriving the viewer/commenter from the full experience of what they see in front of them. What frequently happens is that the reception of the image (as I’ve defined the ideal, above) either does not exist, or is boiled down to a declaration of how much or how little the image achieves Perfection (as defined by The Rules). Pass or Fail...Next.

Seriously, if we all followed The Rules for every image, wouldn’t things get homogenous, and a bit boring? An image that follows The Rules is not bad, let me be clear; it’s just that there should be room in any photographer’s mind for more possibilities than that. Making a plea for openness to photographer choice is not the same thing as saying “screw technique”. Why not sit a spell and get to know the image in front of you instead of hoping for something completely different? When the viewer judges rather than experiences, he shuts himself off in a way that ultimately limits his own choices.

And by way of full disclosure, I have not always been the Ideal Viewer. But it's something I strive for, always.

8 comments:

  1. Well what a coincidence! I come to your new blog post almost immediately after having made the following comment on the image of a friend of ours at that very site to which you refer:

    "Everybody wants assurances, it appears: 'Please Sir, I'm not sure what it is, so I don't know what to think!' Poor babies. Go back to sleep; the bad monster will be gone in the morning."

    I have seethed with frustration about this mind-numbing myopia in commenting for so long, and Rachel has done the same. I have made forum posts, goaded, pleaded and occasionally flat out begged. But I'm afraid it is all quite useless. The literalists, the Rules folks, are relentlessly deaf, blind and (in particular) dumb. There is simply nothing to be done, beyond reassuring them that the bad monster will be gone in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes, and more yes on top of that yes!

    I was just thinking the other day. The Rules only really seem to effect, to the ridiculous degree that it does, the photography community. I never hear such things around painters, drawers, sculptors, guys that build hot rods,etc. I also wonder if the WWW has heightened the reliance on The Rules?

    I don't know! I'm trying to find logic where there is none.

    But I can definitely agree with you on the lack of education as far as viewing goes. When in school, besides technique, there were constant critiques that always included the "emotional" aspect of an image. Sometimes we would spend an entire class talking about a single image! There were classes on looking at art, writing about it, knowing it's history. The education was well rounded...something that is sorely lacking now, particularly online and at those "Become a photographer now!" sort of institutions.

    What I find shocking is peoples refusal to grow or experiment as a photographers. "I know The Rules, I know everything I need to know...the book says so."

    You, I, Paulo, and a plethora of others could go on and on about this forever. I still have a bit of hope that maybe we can help just one more person into the light. We just gotta keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, thanks, thanks! This post of your made me feel good about my view on photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good post, Rachel. I found your blog thanks to a link by Ove.

    I'm not so much a fan of critiques, save for perhaps the critiques of professionals about what types of images can make it into a certain magazine. That is, I think, more of a critique on style and content that sells. What sells is not necessarily art, or a story. They are, IMHO, more akin to sound bites. They are meant to be easily digested in about 5 seconds. The viewer need not stick around an ponder the meaning of the photo.

    With art, I think, it is quite a bit different. Rules, as they are, are simply generally accepted ways of doing things that appeal to some general audience. A lot of people waste time on the 'rules' as well as pixel peeping, etc. Some get out of it. Some don't.

    Some are looking for the formula to get recognition and the approval of their peers. That approval can only come if they follow the rules. If not, then the 'judges' might have to think a bit about what's being presented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've long thought that rules come from our need to be accepted...by having rules if you follow them you and photos will be accepted as good or at least as proper by all the other rule followers. Where this all goes wrong is when rules are treated as laws--don't you dare break the law.

    As we mature in our photography and ourselves as artist, our need to please ourselves becomes stronger then our need to please others--rules become less significant.

    Great post, thanks for letting me reflect on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,

    They say great minds think alike. Ansel Adams was once quoted as saying "There are no rules to good photographs, there are only good photographs." So, it seems like you're thinking or intuition matches an elite class of photographers!

    John Meo (http://www.meo-photography.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust your own self, Karen.

    I'm on a photography related forum and I don't ask for C&C, nor do I allow editing by others of my images. They're MY photos done my way. Take them as they are or don't take them at all.

    I'm an amateur and will always be one. Still, these are my photographs.

    Period.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found you through Ove and I'm glad I followed his link.

    It's clear that your comments struck a chord with a number of photographers. It's a constant struggle, isn't it, to extract from so-called rules (as well as criticisms by others) what we can do to make our images communicate more successfully—even if what we extract only helps us to satisfy ourselves more fully.

    ReplyDelete