Thursday, March 11, 2010

What to do...



SoFoBoMo is coming up again - this time the "fuzzy month" occurs within the time-frame of June 1 to July 31. I'll have to start thinking about what I might do for it this time. I haven't a clue what to settle on. Being in a bit of a photography slump right now, I suppose I shouldn't worry too much that I don't have ideas yet. But I think I should nail something down by the end of April.

7 comments:

  1. gorgeous image up thar ^ - yarrow, right? how did you take that one (lens, technique) and did you ever enter it for a challenge? (i tried to get to the picasa page but it won't load)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the last shots I took for SoFoBoMo last year and included in my project. I didn't enter it for a challenge. What I did - I think I was using my 100mm macro at the time; using shallow DOF, I focused on some part of the image, memorized where that was on the lens, then focused on another part of the image a bit further back (away from the camera) and memorized where that was on the lens. Then I set the focus to the first memorized point, put on an ND filter that allowed me enough time (in this case, I think, 8 seconds of exposure). On a tripod, with a remote release and mirror lockup, I started the exposure, counted out a few seconds, then turned the focus ring to the second memorized focus point and allowed the exposure to finish.

    I played with the exposure times a bit - both how long the full exposure was and also how long I stayed at each focus point before I moved to the second focus point. I got slightly different effects, depending on the method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! very interesting details! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing image, it really is. The deep coloured halos around the flowers, magnificent. At first I thought you used a soft focusing technique, with a stocking or similar. But then, I don't think you would get such illuminating halos that way, at the same time as you preserve some detail. Thanks for the inspiration! I learnt something new today. :)

    Regarding the sofobomo, I haven't started thinking about it yet, and probably won't until May. But, you never know, the Great Idea may appear sooner than you think. Or never.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a sure way to make certain the Great Idea never appears is to chase it as a "Great Idea". :) At least that's how it would be for me - set the bar as some perfect ideal and nothing will ever seem good enough.

    I did find it interesting though, with last year's SoFoBoMo, how many people "found" their topic/focus as they went along, instead of trying to predetermine it. I think that approach might work best - with me - although there's no guarantee you wouldn't at the end of it just have a pile of stuff with no overriding theme. I think I might take the chance, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a *really* creative way to make that image, and I love the result!

    I've never done SoFoBoMo, but if I can come up with something good, I'll try it this year. Can't wait to find out what you decide on doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I encourage you to try SoFoBoMo this year if you can, it's a good experience.

    I still haven't decided what to do yet. :)

    ReplyDelete