
This sort of thing happens to me all the time - I don't take a picture or pursue a thought for an image because I figure whatever I thought to point my camera at "won't be interesting enough". A defeatist view, definitely, and something that largely causes my "dry spells" with photography. It's a lesson I can't seem to learn enough: you can find an interesting image anywhere.
Take the above image, for example. I'd been noodling around with making images of objects placed on my light box, and I had a thought to try randomly-thrown paper circles as my object of the day. So I took a hole punch and went through my paper supplies and pulled out some complementary colors and punched out about 20 holes per color. I shook them all together to get the colors mixed up, then tossed them on the light box. I zoomed the lens during the exposure, to get a blurred effect. Truth be told, the end results weren't all that impressive, but I selected a couple of the best tries and gazed at them a while to see if I could find a pattern that looked visually appealing. Once I found that, I worked on color and tone. What you see here is the end product. I think it has a gentle, calming appearance, but with a level of abstraction you can get lost in. And it came out of aiming my camera at about 100 1/4-inch diameter pieces of colored paper. Interesting enough for you?
Hm, yep, pretty interesting! The paper circles blend very well the way you captured them. I usually tries to achieve effects like this with photoshop, but I can tell I don't get half as interesting results as you get.
ReplyDeleteI've looked at this a couple times, knowing it reminded me of something, but never quite sure what that something was...until today. It reminds me of looking into a nice big disco ball...but a calm sort of pastel lights disco ball.
ReplyDeleteDo you think there could be such a thing as a serene meditative disco ball?
Now a serene disco ball would be an achievement! I wonder if it could operate as a kind of Rorschach test, too? :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it has already proved to work as a Rorschach blob in the sense that it evokes your feelings and imagination. Question is what it means, the serene disco ball. I would certainly enjoy that discotheque, either the case. :)
ReplyDelete